If you love yams as much as I do (click the little heart at the top of this post), then you are going to want to find ways to use them in anything and everything. I have managed to squeeze them into a deliciously healthy breakfast loaf recipe. Which I know you are just going to love. In fact I had a whole group of people over the weekend at my New Year New Your In Studio Retreat and they went over so well! To find out more about what went on at this retreat…definitely take a look here!
Now back to yams…they are decadent, rich, delicious, loaded with vitamins, minerals and taste like candy! The best tasting, sweet and delicious candy around. If you are someone that loves to indulge in something sweet (which is most of us), then I think you find that yams in general will satisfy this craving. Especially if you consider putting them into the context of a dessert or baked good.
To get more tips to balance your sugar cravings and find out why conventional sugar is toxic to your body, then you are going to want to listen to this podcast!
Yam Pecan Cranberry Breakfast Loaves
1 cup yams (or 1 yam), cooked and mashed
½ cup coconut oil
¾ cup maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
½ cup coconut milk
5 tbsp orange juice, freshly squeezed
3 tbsp orange rind, grated
2 cups whole spelt flour or an all purpose gluten free flour
3 tsp baking powder
½ tsp fine sea salt
½ cup dried sweetened cranberries
½ cup pecans, coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 350F
- Steam or boil yam in water in medium saucepan and cook until soft.
- Strain the yams and mash them with a masher.
- Add the oil, syrup, vanilla, vinegar, soy milk, orange juice and orange rind to the yams and mash the ingredients together thoroughly.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Pour the yam mixture into the flour mixture and gently stir them together until all the flour is incorporated into the wet mixture.
- Fold in cranberries and pecans.
- Scoop the mixture into an oiled and floured bread pan. Place the pan in a preheated oven and bake for about one hour. Or bake into mini loaf pans for about 30 minutes. This batter will spread into 10-12 mini loaves.
- Use toothpick to test, this loaf is done when the toothpick comes out clean. Let the loaf/loaves cool in the bread pan on a wire rack before removing.