Super fruits are the new superfoods, enjoyed all over the world for many centuries, from the orient, south pacific, to south America and now in Canada! In addition to tasting great, these superfruits pack a nutritional punch; in some cases delivering 12 times the vitamin C found in an orange.
The Noni and Goji has enjoyed some popularity in recent years, but relatively newer superfruits like Mangosteen, and even Sea Buckthorn is a worth a look for its concentrated vitamin and nutrient content, which provides immunity support. Sea buckthorn especially, which is grown right here in Canada, has been popping up on restaurant menus and revered by top chefs across the country for good reason.
These superfruits can be found at specialty grocery and health food stores, but due to seasonal availability the best way to reap the benefits of these superfruits is through a concentrated superfruit juice. The best options are organic with no added preservatives or sugars, which can be taken as a shot or added to water or a smoothie.
Fruits and vegetables are the best source of vitamins and minerals, but sometimes our immune system needs a boost. Cold and flu season is a great time to introduce a superfood fruit juice for added vitamin C. Also, people suffering from chronic illness or disease may find relief from the immunity boost these superfruit juices provide.
Here are the top 5 super fruits to get your hands on in juice form from Genesis Today
- Native to Central and South America
- Rich in antioxidants (more than cranberries, blueberries, raspberries)
- Rick in Iron, calcium, fiber and vitmin A
- Beneficial for heart disease and cancer
- Helps to prevent arthritis, inflammation, obesity and allergies
Goji Berry (also know as wolf berry)
- Grown on a shrub and native to China
- Great source of protein, calcium, vitamin A, vitamin C, zinc, copper, selenium
- Helps with anti-aging, diabetes, hypertension, cold and flu
- Fabulous for eye and skin health
- Prevents heart disease and lowers blood glucose
- Grows on tropical tree native to Sunda Islands and Muluccas of Indonesia
- High in potassium, manganese, magnesium, vitamin C and B complex vitamins (helps the body to metabolize carbohydrates, protein and fats)
- Helps with digestions, UTI’s, menstrual disorders and cancer
- Can stimulate the immune system and improve mental health
Noni (or Chinese Fruit)
- Grown on evergreen trees native to South Pacific
- Great source of riboflavin, thiamin, B12, vitamin C, Folate, vitamin E and beta carotene
- Helps with arthritis, high blood pressure, muscle aches, menstrual disorders, headaches and liver disease
- Grown in Europe, China, Mongolia and Canada
- Rich in carotenoids, tocotrienols, tocopherols, antioxidants, Vitamin A, C and E
- Packs in 12 x more Vitamin C than an orange
- Helpful for weight loss, fighting disease like heart disease and diabetes
- Contains omega fatty acid 3 and 7 (which helps with skin and bowel disorders)
- Vitamin C helps to keep skin firm, elastic and less wrinkled and helps to smooth out scars
Super Fruit Morning Cereal
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 cup coconut milk
2 tbsp goji berry juice
2 tbsp mangosteen juice
2 tbsp goji berries
2 tbsp wild blueberries
1 tbsp raw honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of sea salt.
Place all the ingredients in a bowl and allow to soak for 15 minutes, or up to 8 hours. Stir until well combined and chia has absorbed all the liquid. Then add more berries + shaved coconut on top for decoration!
Upcoming TV Segments Featuring Superfruits + Recipe
BT Montreal – November 3rd
CTV Calgary – November 10th
BT Toronto – November 14th
Rogers Daytime Durham Region – November 16th
Live @5 CKWS Kingston – November 29th