You may be questioning why rubbing a dry brush on your body is actually a trend these days. Why are people using a brush for something other than their hair or teeth?
Well, you will be surprised when you find out why dry brushing should be incorporated into your morning routine, preferably before showering. You don’t have to make an appointment with the spa and pay a pricey fee when you can do it at the comfort of your own home.
Dry brushing has many benefits for your entire body, from head to toe. You can literally do dry brushing on your face, arms, legs, stomach, chest..you name it!
One third of your body’s toxins are excreted through the skin and dry brushing helps to unclog pores and excrete toxins that become trapped in the skin, which can effectively improve the detoxification process.
How does dry skin brushing help you?
Reduces cellulite – Dry skin brushing may help to soften hard fat deposits below the skin while distributing fat deposits more evenly. This may help to diminish the appearance of cellulite.
Stress relief – The act of dry brushing has been described as meditative (especially if you do it in a quiet space) and may reduce muscle tension, calm your mind, and relieve stress.
Increases circulation – When you dry brush your skin, it increases circulation to your skin, which encourages the elimination of metabolic waste.
Exfoliation – Dry skin brushing removes dead dry skin, improving appearance, clearing your clogged pores, and allowing your skin to “breathe.”
How do I dry brush?
The directions for dry brushing and simple and easy to understand. All you need to begin dry brushing is purchase a wooden brush that has soft bristles and the largest organ in your body… which is your skin!
1) Make sure your skin is dry before you proceed.
2) Grab your brush, place on body, and gently make circular upward motions on any part of your body.
3) Start at the bottom of your body and slowly make your way up to your chest. It’s important that you brush in the direction from your feet to heart because it’s the same direction that the lymphatic fluid flows.
4) Always brush slowly and be carefully because some people are sensitive in parts of their body. If you have any scratches or open wounds, avoid them.
5) Make sure you get your entire body from feet to neck and don’t forget the back of your body!
6) When you have covered your entire body, take a shower and wash away all the dead skin cells. Have your water anywhere from warm to hot for blood circulation while showering.
7) When you come out of the shower, moisturize your body with either coconut oil or an all natural organic body cream.
There you have it! Dry skin brushing is extremely beneficial and relaxing for your body and mind. You are eliminating toxins from your body, cleaning your pores and making your body look and feel fresh. Try dry skin brushing in the morning before your shower and try it for 30 consecutive days. Your body will be reaping the benefits and you’ll look like a glowing star!
To find out more tips to keep your skin beautiful and glowing listen to this episode with Joy McCarthy on The Ultimate Health Podcast