Summer is a time of rebirth, growth and renewal. It is also one of the best times to start a detox! During the summer we have more energy to get ourselves on track and to touch base with current health habits and set new goals. The word “detox” often confuses people as it is used in so many different contexts with many different meanings. Detoxing is a process of getting your body to a neutral, alkaline state through eliminating toxins so that your body can build up its immune system to better protect against disease and work to keep you as healthy as possible. Our organs and systems within our bodies all run well when they are in an alkaline state.
Detoxing means something different for every one. Just like we all have our own individual personalities, our bodies are also unique. What works for one person won’t necessarily work for another. It is very important to listen to your body; it knows what’s best for you! There are many different cleanses to choose from. Some are gentle and others are more rigorous. Your ideal cleanse may be 1 day or it may be 20 days! Once you find what works for you, you will see and feel the amazing benefits of detoxing. These include elevated energy and concentration levels, reduced bloating, elimination of cravings, better sleep, and a more positive attitude. You might also lose weight and start to glow. The point of a detox is for your body to thrive, not starve!
Detoxing can be fun! Whether you are an experienced cleanser or are new to it, here are 8 easy steps to get you started and feeling great this summer!
- Move: Move as much as possible! Allowing your body to move and stretch will increase lymphatic flow eliminating toxins and cellular waste more effectively through your sweat and breathing. Being active for at least 30 minutes a day is essential. Try yoga, running, hiking, swimming, resistance training, kickboxing, or dancing around the house – do anything to get your body up and moving!
- Hydrate: Drinking at least 2 litres of purified or alkalized spring water a day helps flush toxins and waste out of your body, improves brain function and keeps your metabolism running.
- Drink a Smoothie: Having a smoothie for either breakfast or dinner is very cleansing. Smoothies contain good healthy fats and proteins including avocado, coconut oil, spirulina, and kale to keep you satisfied until lunch! Having a smoothie for dinner frees up your body to use its energy to repair cells and build up your immune system instead of trying to digest a heavy meal.
- Go Natural: Your diet should be made up of good whole foods found fresh in nature, foods that come from the earth! Foods that you want to start eliminating from your diet include processed foods such as bleached and refined flours and sugars, table salt, meat treated with hormones, farmed fish, dairy, trans fats, fried foods, refined oils, GMOS, coffee, alcohol and sugary drinks. Eat organic and pesticide free whenever possible. Also start using natural beauty, body and household products.
- Sweat it Out: Using a sauna, steam room or taking a hot steam bath is an easy and effective way to help flush out toxins from your body. Try this after exercising to further increase circulation and assist in eliminating unwanted waste.
- Try Eating Raw and Fermented Foods: Raw foods and fermented foods (such as sauerkraut and miso) are enzyme- rich. Raw foods are full of minerals and vitamins that your body can easily digest. Fermented foods carry healthy bacteria and aid in food digestion. Your body will thrive off of raw and fermented foods and you will feel more energized.
- Relax More, Worry Less: Stress is very hard on the body. Try to engage in gentle and deep breathing exercises throughout the day to reduce cortisol levels, oxygenate your cells and bring your body and mind to a calm state. Tackle tasks one at a time so that you don’t feel overwhelmed, take a warm bath, drink a comforting tea, write in your journal, mediate – do whatever it is that relieves your stress! Try doing this before bedtime to ensure a good nights rest.
- Have Fun: This should be an empowering experience of self-discovery and exploration. Make sure to enjoy yourself along the way!
Learn more about cleaning and detoxing on these amazing podcast episodes!